Posted by & filed under hvac maintenance.

Keeping your heating and cooling systems in good working order means your utility bills will be lower, your home will be more comfortable, and you’ll need to call for repairs less often.

Maintenance Scheduling

Schedule a maintenance service call before the heating season starts. If there are any problems with your system, it’s better to find out before it’s freezing outside! Do the same for your cooling system before sweltering season begins. Our maintenance customers always receive priority service during peak heating and cooling seasons.

Filters

Replace your heating and cooling air filters every month that they’re in use. Operating your system with old, dirty filters means energy is wasted and your system may even be damaged. While you’re at it, check and clean the filters in your home’s air cleaners and humidifiers.

System Checks

If you have a forced air heating system check your furnace’s blower compartment and blower coils. Vacuum them if you see dirt and dust there. You should also check fan belt tension, and lubricate fan and motor bearings.

• If you have a steam system, check the shut-off valve for leaks.
  • Bleed hot water system radiators at least once a year.
  • Don’t keep clutter near your furnace. It’s a fire hazard, and may keep your system from operating efficiently.
  • To make sure you’re getting the most out of your heating system, keep the heating registers and vents throughout the house free of dust, dirt, and pet hair by vacuuming them at least once a year.
  • Listen for odd sounds when your heating or cooling system kicks in. If you hear anything unusual, get in touch with your service professional so you can head off problems before they become serious.
  • In winter months, set your ceiling fan at its slowest speed and reverse it in order to gently push warm air down from the ceiling without generating a breeze.

To learn more about what routine maintenance your system needs, contact Robin Aire today!

24 Responses to “Maintenance Tips”

1. Theodore Winston

Thanks for these great tips! We are having our house remodeled and I was considering on including the heating systems to be upgraded as well. I’d be sure to not forget to schedule a regular maintenance to ensure its longevity. Thanks for the great read!

2. Kyle Wayne

It really helped when you mentioned keeping clutter away from your furnace since it can become a fire hazard. My grandpa is looking to get some heating system maintenance but honestly could use all the tips he can get. I’ll be sure to talk to him about keeping clutter away from his system to avoid fires.

3. Roger Middleton

I liked that you had mentioned that it can be important to have your system’s checked to make sure there aren’t any huge problems when you need to use them. My wife and I have been worried about how well our air conditioner will work this next summer. We might just need to have an HVAC out here to handle any needed maintenance on our machines to prevent them from having problems when we’ll need them.

4. Kayla

I didn’t know that small things such as routine cleanings can have huge impacts on energy efficiency and costs. Our AC is not cooling like it used to. My dad suggested having HVAC maintenance and shared this article with us.

• robinaireheating.com

We’re happy to hear that you found this information helpful! Please feel free to give us a call if you have questions!

5. Gerty Gift

My husband and I are trying to figure out what we can do to be sure our HVAC runs smoothly for a very long time. I appreciate the advice about replacing the filters every month they’re in use. I didn’t think it had to be that often, but I can see how, over time, it can start to really hurt the system.

6. Bethany Birchridge

I like that this mentioned that a dirty air filter means you’re wasting energy and possibly ruining your HVAC system. I live in an old house, so I want to make sure I take great care of my system. My little brother is also allergic to lots of pollen, so I think keeping the air filters clean could help him stay healthy.

7. Gary Puntman

I didn’t know that you should replace air filters every month. I’ll have to be better at doing that this summer. I’m sure they can get really dirty, really fast when you are using the heating or cooling frequently.

8. Joy Butler

It’s really cool that this article talked about the HVAC maintenance tips. We’re not well versed with HVAC, so every time we notice that there’s a poor air flow, we will just check if there’s any object that blocking the air passing in each unit since we have 3. I guess the option of getting it service is all that we really need! You are right, a scheduled preventative maintenance will help to maximize their performance.

9. Jenna Hunter

I appreciate your advice to not keep clutter near your furnace. I am a first-time homeowner, so I need to do some more research on maintaining the heating and air in my home. Thanks for your tips on how to keep them in good working order.

10. Burt Silver

I really like what you said about maintenance scheduling and system checks. This is something I should really get on my AC unit because I don’t remember the last time it had a checkup. It would be a good idea for me to get in touch with a service that can regularly check up on it and let me know how it is performing.

11. John

That’s a good tip to check the shut-off valve. I didn’t know to do that for a steam system. I’m buying a new home so I’ll have to check if that’s the type of hvac it has.

12. Monica Chavez

I really like your idea to set your ceiling fan at its slowest speed and revers it in order to gently push warm air down from the ceiling. That must be really helpful in keeping the house a little bit warmer during the cold winter months. My mom and dad have been having trouble with their heating, and they want to be sure to get it fixed in case there are any cold days coming up. I think it would really help if they had a repair guy come and take a look at it.

13. John

Good stuff! Glad to see other contractors are giving out good information. Lots of missionformation out there

14. Emery Jean Chambers

It was really nice to be made aware that one way to keep the heating system functioning efficiently is by making sure that there is no clutter near it. That is a small thing to do to keep it from breaking. I think the rest should be left in the hands of a professional. After all, letting the heating system malfunction is not an option considering how costly it can be. Thanks!

15. Max Sayer

I have been thinking about getting my heating looked at because it’s not as effective as it used to be. One thing that stood out to me is maintenance schedule before the season starts. I will have to keep this in mind as I get someone to check out my system.

16. Kairi Gainsborough

Our heat started to break towards the beginning of spring, but the cold weather was almost over, so we didn’t worry about getting it fixed. Before the summer ends, we will need to find out what went wrong with it. Thanks for the tip about listening for odd sounds when the air kicks on. I remember hearing rattling when turning on the heat. I’ll call a professional like you suggested before it starts to get cold again.

17. Ken Hwan

I never would’ve thought to vacuum out the air vents in my house to maximize the heat that gets circulated throughout the house. My wife always complains about being too cold in the winter, even though I turn up the heat! I will be sure to vacuum all of my vents in my house to make sure the there is nothing blocking them.

18. Bethany Birchridge

I like how you mentioned that it’s better to find out if there are heating problems before the winter, as you won’t need to freeze and things won’t be covered in snow. Last year, my father got a new heating system installed, so he’s been wondering how to keep it in great condition. I’ll be certain to share this article with him, so he can keep his system up and running.

19. Camille Devaux

Recently, my sister and her family moved into a new home. She is worried that the HVAC system in this new house is not working properly. I think it would help her decide whether or not to get it fixed if she took your advice to listen for odd sounds.

20. Joy Butler

Thanks for your tip on replacing your filters. I think that’s a simple thing that my husband and I always miss. I will have to get that done.