What Everyone Should Know About Contractor Scams
We’ve all heard these stories and seen the images. When a natural disaster hits a community, friends, neighbors and charities rush in to help. It always warms the heart to see the outreach in services and donations. And yet … there’s that other side of the response. There are selfish people who try to take advantage of a bad situation and use the natural disaster as an opportunity to scam.
Often during these times, law enforcement agencies make announcements about what you should and should not look for when hiring someone to work on your home. People become aware, alert. And yet … scam artists come into communities and neighborhoods even when our fellow citizens are warned to be hyper-vigilant, even when the skies are blue, and the wind is calm, and the weather is perfect.
In other words, contractor scams get more attention during natural disasters, but they can occur at anytime, anyplace. And that means right here in Southeast Michigan. Oh, I don’t mean to scare you about any particular situation. I’m not reporting news, just tendencies. I’m talking about possibilities that call for wise practices. For example, here are some of the tips the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recommends for hiring someone to work on your home:
- Get recommendations from friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, insurance agents or claims adjusters.
- Deal only with licensed and insured contractors. Check with the local Better Business Bureau and Home Builders Association to see if complaints have been lodged against any contractor you’re considering.
- Get a written estimate that includes any oral promises the contractor made. Remember to ask if there’s a charge for an estimate before allowing anyone into your home.
- Take your time about signing a contract. Ask for explanations for price variations, and don’t automatically choose the lowest bidder.
Please know, we’ll be glad to help you with whatever home comfort problem you may be experiencing. At Robin Aire Heating and Cooling, Inc., we’re proud to have grown a business through referrals and recommendations from satisfied customers, and we hope our list of satisfied customers includes you too. So, if you need us, just email or call.
Why Choose Robin Aire Service Company?
We’ve Provided Honest & Quality Service Since 1985
- Founded by a veteran & an MVAA Veteran-Friendly Employer
- An on-site metal shop for quick repairs
- The most recent technology for all services
- Fully stocked trucks
- Worry-free service plan
- A valuable referral program
- Drug-tested & background-screened technicians
- Commitment to your community & our environment
- Free estimates on equipment
- Premier Lennox Dealer