Michigan’s Electrical Vehicle Charger Tax Rebates: Explained
It’s estimated that by 2025, at least a quarter of vehicles sold will be electric. Aside from federal incentives, nearly every state in the country, including Michigan, now offers some type of rebate for electric cars and trucks or EV charging stations.
As Michigan-based car manufacturers like Ford and GM expand their electric vehicle options, the state has begun to increase its adoption of rebates and tax credits. In addition to federal tax credits, Michigan consumers can fully utilize the state’s Charge Up Michigan Program. However, while the governor’s office has proposed additional rebates of up to $2,500 for EV vehicles and chargers, they have not been approved yet.
Robin Aire provides outstanding residential and commercial electrical services, including EV charger installations that significantly reduce the time it takes to charge your electric vehicle, ensuring it’s ready to go when you are.
Michigan Electric Car Rebates
There are currently no Michigan EV rebates consumers can claim. You can, however, receive up to $7,500 in federal tax credits when you buy a qualifying electric vehicle. Here’s what you need to know:
- According to the IRS, individuals and businesses that buy a new, qualified plug-in EV or hybrid vehicle are eligible for a tax credit.
- To qualify, buyers must purchase the vehicle for personal use and use it primarily in the U.S.
- There are rules regarding modified adjusted gross income thresholds.
- The credit is non-refundable, so if you do not use all of the credit, you will not get a refund for that amount. This credit also will not carry over into the following year.
- The amount of credit you qualify for depends on when you started using the vehicle.
There are also rules about battery capacity, gross vehicle weight, manufacturer, assembly, and battery components.
Installing an EV Charger
Although EV sales continue to climb, nearly half of the consumers say they have charging or battery concerns that keep them from making the investment. These worries will likely lessen as funds from the federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law designed to install a half-million public charges nationwide by 2030 are released and spent.
Installing an EV charger at your home or business offers numerous benefits.
- Convenience: Charging your EV at home or work eliminates visiting public charging stations. Non-public EV chargers also typically provide faster charging speeds than standard electrical outlets.
- Cost savings: Home and business EV chargers can be more cost-effective than fuel. Some chargers have advanced features that optimize charging based on energy rates so that you can take advantage of off-peak prices.
- Improved battery life: A home or business-based EV charger provides a controlled charging process that helps extend your battery’s life.
- Increased property value: As EVs become more commonplace, installing a charger at your property can increase its appeal and value.
Finally, you can also take advantage of federal tax credits up to $1,000 and rebates offered by the state of Michigan.
EV Charger Rebates in Michigan
EV charger rebates in Michigan are among the country’s largest electric vehicle charging incentives, including state and DTE Energy and other utility programs.
Michigan’s “Charge Up” program capitalizes on grants to grow the state’s EV network and aims to support 2 million EVs on Michigan’s roads by 2030. The NEVI charging station placement program will expand EV charging stations over the next five years on the state’s so-called Alternative Fuel Corridors like I-94 and US-131.
Consumer and business rebates include:
- Up to $2,500 per Level 2 charger
- Up to $70,000 per DC fast charger
- Up to $7,500 for a site location open to multi-dwelling residential units
- Up to $5,000 for hospitality sites
Why Choose Robin Aire Service Company?
Along with EV charger installation services, Robin Aire offers various residential and commercial electrical services, including lighting, panels, home automation, generators, and wiring. We’re dedicated to providing our Wixom and Novi, MI-area customers with quality electrical services. Contact us to learn more.
Why Choose Robin Aire Service Company?
We’ve Provided Honest & Quality Service Since 1985
- Founded by a veteran & an MVAA Veteran-Friendly Employer
- An on-site metal shop for quick repairs
- The most recent technology for all services
- Fully stocked trucks
- Worry-free service plan
- A valuable referral program
- Drug-tested & background-screened technicians
- Commitment to your community & our environment
- Free estimates on equipment
- Premier Lennox Dealer